Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Black Widow Spider Weirdness

I confess myself totally baffled. When I first swatched this pattern, I made a mistake and worked the alternate rows from left to right. Of course, at the time, I didn't realize I had goofed. I thought the result was very attractive.


When I decided to actually make this shawl, however, I went back and, erm, read the directions, which specifically state that the central panel rows are all worked from right to left. All the numbers are on the right-hand side. I read the directions twice. And then again. Because the result is nowhere near as interesting or attractive as my flawful sample shown above.



Did I make yet another mistake or is it really supposed to look like this? To me, it just looks like random holes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your version of this pattern. you should chart it so we (I) can try it. Can you do that or would it be a copyright thing?

Anonymous said...

The "mistake" is much more interesting...and it looks more like the chart.

Experimental Knitter said...

I agree, your is much nicer and will drape nicer too, IMO. It'll have some weight to it.

Lacefreak said...

Dear fleegle,

The less interesting one is the correct version, but no one says you have to knit the center with it! If you can get the stitch count right, use the one you prefer :-) After all, it's your shawl.